The Kona Coast is home to over 200 resident Manta Rays who have been identified and named. Much like a fingerprint is unique to each human, Manta Rays have distinguishing black and white markings on their underside. These markings are used to identify them nightly for the official Manta count. These gentle giants can grow up to 20 feet in length and weigh up to 3000 pounds. However, they have nothing that bites or stings, making this the safest large animal encounter in the world.
Groups of Manta Rays converge nightly off of Keahole Bay to feed on the smorgasbord of phytoplankton that appear to soak up the glow given off by underwater dive lights.
Choose either of our Manta Ray EcoAdventures:
Manta Ray Sunset Dive / Snorkel EcoAdventure – Enjoy a scenic boat ride along the Kona coast and arrive early enough to take in one of our magnificent sunsets. After the sun has set and in a water depth of about 25-30 feet, both snorkelers and certified SCUBA divers are able to safely view the incredible performance put on by the Kona Manta Rays.
Manta Ray Moonlight Snorkel EcoAdventure - Avoid the manta site crowds by leaving later and experience a smaller, quieter and more serene Moonlight Manta Ray Snorkel. Enjoy a moonlight boat ride to Keahole Bay seeing the Kona city-lights from an ocean perspective. Snorkel in about 25-30 feet of water while safely viewing the incredible performance put on by the Kona Manta Rays.
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will instruct you on how to encounter these amazing creatures so we can protect the mantas and their habitat. Mantas "Delaney," "Koie," "Blain," "Big Bertha," "Darth Ray-dar" and more --- await your arrival.
Meet these majestic creatures face-to-face with our experienced staff to guide you.
- No age restrictions
- No experience necessary
- Fun for the whole family
- Ride-alongs welcome
- Seating in either sun or shade areas, toilet on board
- Oversize swim platform and fresh water showers
- Top quality wetsuits, snorkel gear, flotation devices included
- Top quality dive gear available for rental (BCD / Regulator / Full Wetsuit)
- Snacks, ice water and hot cocoa provided
- Friendly, knowledgeable and professional staff
- Sunset EcoAdventure time is 3 hours (departure times vary by sunset)
- Sunset departs from Honokohau Marina, boat check-in is 30 minutes prior to departure
- Moonlight EcoAdventure time is 2 hours (departure times vary by season)
- Moonlight departs from Honokohau Marina, boat ramp check-in is 30 minutes prior to departure
- 98% chance of seeing manta rays
- Bring towel, jacket or cover-up, underwater camera
|Manta Ray Sunset Dive / Snorkel EcoAdventure
| Certified Diver - 1 tank dive (Sunset Manta Rays only)
| Dive Gear Rental (BCD, Regulator, Full Wetsuit)
| Snorkel Adult
| Snorkel Child (age 4-12)
| Infant (age 3 & under)
|Manta Ray Sunset Dive / Snorkel EcoAdventure|
Guaranteed to see a Manta Ray on Manta Ray Sunset / Moonlight EcoAdventure or come again for FREE
All activities will be charged Sales Tax (4.17%) and Harbor Use Fee (3%)